Thursday, May 1, 2008

And now with new kung-fu moves!

I'm back, better than ever [shadow boxing like Rocky, then alternating to a series of faux kung-fu moves] and ready to rock the world with my 23 Thing-ness.

I had skulked off into the virtual darkness after kind of petering out after an initial burst of enthusiasm. Basically, I had started to feel a little overwhelmed by the 23 things. Setting up the blog was as easy as pie, but then I started to come up against things that actually necessitated coherent thought which is not always my strong suit. So I wimped out.

But I had regrets, yes I did. I had let myself down. And I had proved myself as a slacker web 2.0 maven. (Topic for another day: how I truly am the epitome of the Gen X stereotypes. It's my generation, people! For real! I just look at those hardworking Millenials and think: man, am I glad they're motivated because someone has to be and this way it doesn't have to be me.) So I bashfully revisited the scene of the crime--the 23 Things blog, that states the steps (http://23thingsonastick.blogspot.com/) and found out that another round of the 23 Things is being planned, with registration to start May 15th. And all of a sudden, I'm not a slacker, I'm actually way ahead of schedule as I've already started the project. I'm the Hermione Granger of library 2.0 initiatives. Take that, Millenials! Eat my dust!

I also, this time, will actually register and hopefully the accountability will make a difference.

So. My legions of readers, by which I mean my friend Fresca, will notice I have added a Yahoo avatar which is actually a requirement of part of the first Thing. I created her awhile back, but didn't want to add the image because there's no way I look like that (except in a very roundabout way, as she has pale skin, brown hair, and is in what looks like a library) and apparently I'm a very literal minded person as this fact--that she doesn't really look like me--bothered me so much I couldn't bear to add it as a side element. However, in light of my renewed enthusiasm, here she is. Here's a thought: someone should do a study on what kind of people create what kind of avatars (in say, Second Life). Like I said, I'm a literal gal but I do admire people that create themselves as big robots with wings or what have you. So what personality type creates what kind of avatars? Scholars, get to work.

Frankly, my avatar kind of scares me, so I'm not sure how long she'll stay. A psychologist would have a field day with this.

Here are some of my goals for round 2 of the project:

1. Actually do it.

That about covers it right there. Succinctness, I am the esssence of you. Or is that: succinctness, of you I am the essence?

5 comments:

caramama said...

Yeah! I'm glad you didn't give up! I have refrained from hassling you, but I've wanted more rudyinparis posts!

I'm a techie person, so if you want any hand-holding, I can do that. Also, I'm a grammar person, and ending with "of you" is perfectly appropriate. ;-)

As for avatars, I have two for my two different yahoo accounts. One looks surprisingly like me. The other is for my fantasy football team called Barbie's Pretty Boy Toys (totally taunts all the men I beat!) and the avatar looks like Barbie. I don't know what that says about me...

Rudyinparis said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Caramama! And I'm hoping you've been getting more sleep...

Rudyinparis said...

By the way, I just realized we both have beach pictures... how unobservant am I?

caramama said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you... It's the shared love of the beach!! ;-)

Fresca said...

Hooray!
You are walking point for me, my friend, into the wilds of the Twenty-Three Things!
(That could be the title of one of the volumes of your future autobiography.)

And let me say, "Rocky" is showing at the Edina Theater (50th & France) this Wednesday, May 7, at 5:15 pm and 9:45, double-feature with Sean Connery as James Bond in "Dr. No."
Since Rocky is in my Top-Ten All-Time-Favorite Films list, I am very excited. And since I am a Morning Person, I am going to the 5:15 show. Can you come too?
It could be a 24th thing: see old movies on the big screen. So old, it's new.

P.S. Aha! Your readership is DOUBLE what you thought: Cara Mama beat me to the "comment" punch!
(Hi, Cara Mama!)